Musical Monday - 1/10/11

So it's been pretty long since I've posted any 'musical monday's' and to tell you the truth, I've missed it.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I'll never miss any monday's in 2011 (especially since I've already missed one), but I do want to tell you that I will never stop doing musical monday's.  They have been my little retreat from the normal music world and I want you to take the trip with me whenever you want.

Anyway, on to the music...

Today's selection comes from a band that I've heard a lot from, but never really knew they were the band that I had been listening to.  I've been listening a whole lot to the Deas Vail channel on Pandora and this band has been popping up on that channel constantly.  They are Abandon and they sound very similar to the secular band 'The Killers', who I love to jam to often, but now that I've realized there is a "Christian" alternative to 'The Killers' I will be adding them into my usual mix of tunes. By the way...there's nothing wrong with listening to secular music as long as you don't let it be your only source of music.  I believe there is much to learn from Christian and non-Christian bands, just filter what you hear very carefully.

This song is definitely not the typical Abandon tune.  Like I said they sound very much like The Killers and when you listen to this song...it doesn't sound anything like The Killers.  There's a reason for that...I love listening to an entire album.  Especially the last song on the cd.  I find that the last song on a cd is where a band really expresses themselves as a group.  They aren't trying to make it a "radio-friendly" song that everyone will love.  They are just writing it for themselves.  And that's what 'Hero' is for Abandon.  The last song on their cd.  And I can't get enough of it.  So simple yet it has such a powerful message behind it.

Enjoy!  And pay close attention to the lyrics of the chorus (they are so powerful):

There He goes - a hero. A savior to the world.
Here He stands with scars in His hands.
With love He gave His life so we could be free.
The Savior of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment